With our upcoming Trout Tournament on March 18th quickly approaching, we are sharing our favorite Trout Fishing Tips. For all those avid trout fishermen out there, we encourage you to share your favorite tricks and tips in the comments below!
The four best baits we find are
1. Berkley Power Bait Trout Bait
2. White Inline Spinners (rooster tails)
3. Minnow Baits: Rapala Original Floating Minnow
4. Corn- Corn has been used by anglers to get fish to bite. You can put a few pieces of corn right on your hook (try out different brands to see which one works the best for you) or you can make your own corn bait. To make your own corn bait follow this recipe.
• Prepare a bowl of water. Submerge two cups of feed corn in your bowl. Leave it for about 48 hours. This will soften your corn.
• Pour 4 tablespoons of water into a small sauce pan. Pour in the corn you softened for 48 hours.
• Add in a quarter cup of sugar into the pan.
• Mix in two tablespoons of vanilla extract to the mixture.
• Cook the mixture for approximately 15 minutes over medium heat.
• Hook five pieces of your special corn bait to your hook
Our favorite techniques for baiting your line! We suggest a light action rod with 4 or 6-pound test line. As well a three-way swivel and 1 or 2 oz. weight. By using light line, the line has less friction with the water. Tie two 3 foot pieces of line to the three-way swivel. Use the weight on one line and a lure on the other.
How to cast out your line. You only want to go just fast enough for your lure to work and no faster. Hold the rod in one hand with the bail open. Let the line run through the palm of your other hand and grip the line. Once the boat starts moving and you have a good straight troll going, open your hand and let out a foot or two of line at a time until you get to the depth you want to be at. This will keep your three-way from tangling.
How to clean trout. Cut the head off just before the Pectoral fin (optional as some like to cook with head attached).
Hold fish with belly facing up. Using your fillet knife, cut from the anal hold forwards towards where the head area.
Pull out the entrails. Take a toothbrush and clean the blood vein that runs along the spine.
Brush the vein until it is cleaned out. Rinse thoroughly inside and out and prepare to cook as you wish.
There you have it! From bait to cleaning, our favorite Trout Fishing Tips! Don't forget to comment with your favorite fishing hacks and tips for the beginner fisherman, we all would love to hear from YOU!